about

Moorebank Liverpool Hockey Club first began in 1930, comprising of six teams who conducted their own competition around the Liverpool and Moorebank areas. The Club used Army ground on the corner of Moorebank Avenue and Heathcote Road (now STC).

In 1945-46 Mr Mc Cooey formed Moorebank Liverpool District Hockey Club comprising of two teams. Mr McCooey arranged with the Army and Liverpool Council to prepare Clinches Park ground for hockey.

An Army hut was purchased, moved and erected by Club members in 1945 which was used by the Club until the present building was erected by Council.

The Club was promoted to District status in 1947 with three senior teams (1st, 2nd and 3rd Grades) and two junior teams.

In the Club’s first year of major competition the first grade team was placed third. The coach was Andy McEvoy, who was Captain of the Australian Team.

In 1968 the first Moorebank Liverpool District Hockey Club touring team consisting of twenty three players and two officials ventured to New Zealand.They participated in nine games against the Provincial side, winning 8 of the games. Club members conveyed a message from the Mayor of Liverpool to the City of Palmerston North, they were made honorary citizens of Palmerston North and were granted the Key to the City at a Civic Reception held in their honour.

The Club maintained its own grass field at Clinches Park until 1984 when, with the co-operation of Liverpool City Council the Liverpool City Hockey Complex was established at Junction Road, with four grass fields and a plan for a further four fields. Plans for two international standard grass fields were shelved and the Club channeled its energies and finance into constructing a synthetic hockey field of International standard.

In 1987 a sand filled synthetic field, with lighting for night games, was constructed with the assistance of the Liverpool City Council and the New South Wales Government.

Extensions to provide change rooms and a meeting room were completed in 1991 once again with the assistance of Liverpool City Council and the Commonwealth Department of Sport.

A water base synthetic field has since been constructed making Moorebank Liverpool District Hockey Club the first hockey club in New South Wales to have two international standard synthetic playing surfaces.

Even in 2013 Moorebank continues to lead the way, becoming the first club in Sydney to have 3 synthetic surfaces with the opening of our new international standard water turf.

Club firsts

Year First
1945 Life Member: Mr E McCooey
Australian Representative: Andy McEvoy
1947 NSW Representative: Reg Goldfinch
1948 G O’Mara and E McCooey Jnr.
1949 NSW Junior Representatives: Alan Steen and Gordon Cameron
1967 Brian Booth Medal (Sportsman of the Year – Hockey): Kevin Rix
1972 Channel 7 Encouragement Award: Tony Kemp
1969 Liverpool Chamber of Commerce Sportsman Award: Kevin Rix
1968 Toastmasters ‘Club of the Year’: Moorebank Liverpool District Hockey Club
1984 First synthetic hockey field (sand)
1995 First club in Sydney with two synthetic fields (sand and water)
2013 First club in Sydney with three synthetic fields (2 water and 1 sand)

 

 

 

75th Anniversary Team of the Century

 

 

Australia's favourite hockey club